How to Setup VPN on a Smart TV – Step by Step Guide
Reading Time: 4 minutes
The redesigned Samsung Smart TV can now become even better with a VPN. Outfitted with a vivid-brilliant display, eye-catching design, simplified menu, and stunning features, Samsung Smart TV is the new-age television for entertainment hunters. An integrated web-browser lets you explore any information, movie, TV series, games, and popular videos at your fingertip.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Top Smart TV VPN Services 2018
- How to Setup VPN on Smart TV
- Best UK VPN for Smart TV
- Free Download VPN for Samsung
However, all good things come with some limitations, and thus, users face a barrier of geo-restrictions when accessing popular on-demand entertainment services like Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, 4oD, Fox GO and more on Smart TV.
To keep your online privacy protected all the times while accessing geo-restricted devices from anywhere, read our exclusive best VPN list.
To bypass the geo-restrictions, subscribers find VPN as the safest and fastest solution. Therefore, in this guide, we will present you with top-rated Smart TV VPN, which offer one-click unblocking, top-grade online protection and premium entertainment experience to subscribers.
Read along to discover the best Smart TV VPN services and learn how to setup VPN on Samsung Smart TV.
Top Smart TV VPN Services 2018
To identify the best Smart TV VPN services, we carried out an experiment and tested various VPN services. Fortunately, we came up with following best Smart TV VPNs that worked flawlessly and performed trouble-free on Sony Bravia, Samsung and LG Smart TVs. By using one of the following Smart TV VPN, you will be able to unlock tons of streaming sites and services from anywhere in the world within seconds. For QNAP users, here is a list of recommended VPNs for QNAP devices.
Have a safe unblocking and streaming experience with following top-ranked Smart TV VPNs
- PURE VPN
- NORD VPN
- EXPRESS VPN
- IPVANISH VPN
- IVACY VPN
PureVPN is one of those smart TV VPN services currently providing its services in 141 countries worldwide. Likewise, you can experience a list of comprehensive features on your smart TVs hassle-free. Hence, you can watch your preferred media content straightaway.
- Provides 750+ servers in 141 countries
- Offers compatible apps for all leading platforms
- Provides 256-bit military grade encryption to users
- Offers paid trial feature to users
Explore our PureVPN review to know more about the service.
2. NordVPN- has huge Servers List
NordVPN being a Panama based provider offers best level of VPN services in the world. In addition, you can try out its different eye-catching benefits on your desired devices like smart TVs or operating systems too.
- Offers 4482 servers in 62 countries
- Provides real time efficient customer support
- Has numerous user-friendly apps for smart TVs and other devices
- Users may anticipate slow streaming speeds at times
3. ExpressVPN- Pricey but extremely effective
ExpressVPN is a bit expensive VPN service as compared to other VPN services available in the industry. However, it is surely an amazing choice when it comes to unblocking smart TV apps through smart TV VPN on your preferred devices.
- 1700+ servers in 94+ countries
- Offers excellent customer support feature
- Provides multi-login benefit to users
- Provider is based at the US
4. IPVanish – Offers 10 Multi-logins
IPVanish is a VPN service based in US, powered by 1,000+ servers in over 60 countries. The best feature of IPVanish is that it offers simultaneous connections to up 10 devices. Therefore, with a single IPVanish account, you can connect your SmartTV, mobile phones, and PCs to the various PN servers offered by the brand.
- Offers more than 40,000 IP addreses
- Live customer support available 24/7
- Multi-login feature can support 10 devices simultaneously
- Not the most privacy-friendly since it is based in the US.
5. Ivacy- Compatible with Smart TVs
Ivacy is another top VPN service for smart TV offering different features to its users worldwide. Moreover, you can secure your online privacy while accessing your desired region blocked content on your smart TVs instantly.
Explore our Ivacy VPN review to know more about the service.
- Offers 200+ servers in 100+ countries
- Has an excellent customer support feature for users
- Extremely compatible with smart TVs and other devices
- Users may experience connectivity issues at times
How to Setup VPN on Smart TV
Now, that you are aware of the unblocking feature and privacy benefits of using a VPN, you are all set to setup VPN on Smart TV. However, do note that most VPNs do not support operating systems especially developed for your manufacturer’s SmartTV. So installing a VPN directly on your SmartTV is not possible in most cases.
However, if your SmartTV’s operating system is based on Android, then you can download VPNs simply through the Google Play Store. You can check with your TV manufacturer to see if it is running Android.
To install a VPN on your Android SmartTV, follow these steps below:
- Choose a VPN from our recommended list of VPNs (as these are the best VPNs compatible with Android).
- Search for your preferred VPN in the Google Play Store from your SmartTV
- Download and install the VPN apk file on your TV
- Enter your subscription credentials into the app
- Launch the app, choose your desired server, and enjoy VPN services on SmartTV.
Unfortunately, these steps won’t work if your SmartTV OS is not Android. Nonetheless, you can still share a VPN-protected network with your SmartTV. The first option is to setup a VPN on your router, the second option is to share your VPN connection using your Windows PC or Mac, and the third option is to setup a VPN Wi-Fi hotspot.
Similarly, you can install best VPN for IPTV on your Smart TV devices to continue watching IPTV media content.
Setup VPN on DD-WRT Router
In my opinion, the most simple method for using a VPN on Samsung Smart TV is through routers. Once you have the service configured, all the devices connected to the router will have VPN connection.
*Note: The VPN setup of router depends on router type and may vary from VPN provider to provider Following VPN setup is for DD-WRT routers.
- Go to Setup then Basic Setup
- From Connection Type drop-down menu select PPTP
- Enter the VPN server address in Gateway (PPTP Server) field
- Enter the username and password
- Make sure to enable Use DHCP
- Check if your VPN providers requires MTU settings from Optional Settings
- Now scroll down to Network Address Server Settings (DHCP)
- From DHCP Type option, select DHCP Server and also hit Enable
- Enter DNS addresses provided by your VPN provider
- Make sure to disable Use DNSMasq for DHCP and DNS
- Now hit Save and Apply Settings to connect to the VPN service
Best UK VPN for Smart TV
Interestingly, you can consider availing some of the best above described UK VPN services for your smart TVs. By doing so, you can unblock different smart TV apps through smart TV VPN in the UK in no time.
Here is the list of smart TV apps you can unblock with smart TV VPN:
- Hulu Plus
- HBO Go
Therefore, you cannot deny the significance of a smart TV UK VPN since it allows you to access different region blocked apps in UK.
Free Download VPN for Samsung, Sony, and LG Smart TV
Beside premium Samsung VPNs, there are some free VPN services available in the market. However, such VPN should never be compared with a paid VPN provider, as many times; free VPN come packed with third-party advertisers that bombard annoying ads in your browser.
Also, privacy concern remains high when using free VPN, due to fact that provider can sell your browsing history to law enforcement agencies. In addition, a number of servers, protocols and other features offered by free VPN are fewer than paid ones.
You can consider reading our detailed best VPN for Samsung guide to secure your Samsung smart TVs straightaway.
VPN has been catering accessibility and privacy needs of netizens’ for years, and when it comes to Smart TV, there is no better solution than a VPN. Apart from censorship evasion, a VPN can take your streaming experience to next level by evading blackouts on UFC matches and various other sporting events.